Official Letter from Gufuku-ji temple with Phrases of Acceptance by the Administration Offuce in Yamato
This handscroll is a letter from Gufuku-ji temple to the administrator of Yamato province sent in 1072. In the letter Gufuku-ji temple asks the administration office to confirm the ownership of Kōfuku-ji temple’s estate in the province of Yamato.
In the main part of the letter, which consists of ninety-five lines, all the plots owned by Gufuku-ji temple are listed up. Signatures of the three persons including the inspector from the temple, were added at the end of the list.
On request of the temple, the phrases of acceptance by the administrator of Yamato province was written in the fifteen lines at the end of the scroll, and the seal of the province of Yamato was stamped onto twenty places at paper-joint parts and over the characters.
Gufuku-ji temple was sometimes called by the name Kawahara-dera and was one of the largest temples during the Asuka and Hakuhō periods.
In the 9th century
Masterpieces of Nara National Museum. Nara National Museum, 1993, p.89, no.67.